Wednesday 4 September 2013

Change

I feel that change is coming - and change which I must try to look at positively.  I took redundancy two years ago because my delicate health had suffered and I was offered the opportunity.  And for two years I have enjoyed the privilege of not having to work because of my husband’s salary which has kept us both fed and clothed.  Now my husband’s job is ending.

During my unemployed time I have discovered a love of gardening, helped to build a sociable group of knitting cyclists, and rekindled my dormant love of painting.  But some of these activities are only possible in the right environment.  Painting, for example, needs time and space around it; it just isn’t possible to cram a painting into a spare half-hour.

As I ride around I see and feel my inspiration.  I ride amongst hills criss-crossed by field boundaries, and these images lodge in my mind and work their way onto my paper at some future time, normally weeks later.  I stop by a bridge, dismount and climb down to the riverbank. Burned into my memory is a moment of exquisite happiness which I just have to express, either by writing (I have kept a journal for more reasons than I can remember) or by painting.  Cycling feeds my painting, and painting gives a rich dimension to my cycling.

Working can bring many rewards (besides income) of course.  The company of a good and friendly team working with a common goal can be immensely rewarding.  Having a laugh with colleagues is every bit as good as having a laugh with friends.  To find work amongst people who understand the appeal of cycling would be a rare opportunity, but I will seek it nonetheless.  

But if I go back to work, I fear for my painting.  During the 28 years that I worked I only ever found time to paint on the rare occasions that I was off work sick. 

The very thought of losing my painting makes me shiver with a kind of grief.  I must see the positives; but for today at least, I am struggling to do that. 


Dolygaer - one half-hour walk, two training exercises, three trial runs and fourth time lucky with the final painting.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely picture. I love photography with my cycling - at least it is a bit more instant!
    You have had a busy two years - is it two?! - and I am sorry to hear hubby is finishing.
    Maybe a weekend to Chester next ladies ride will help?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sue - a weekend in Chester would be fabulous, in more senses than one! I shall keep an eye on your site and between fixtures (christening next weekend, for example) I may try to fit a trip in. But Paul's work searching is dictating our movements just now. Not even a move to Chester is off the cards - although it could be somewhere even further away than that! In the lap of the gods right now.

    ReplyDelete