Monday 17 December 2012

Little Achievements


I DID IT!  It was as we pulled out of a turning on our tandem.  I said to Paul:  "That's it, I'm not riding any more this year" and he said "ok then you can walk from here".  Then he hugged me and kissed me. 

I'd done it - I'd ridden my 3000th mile of the year.

Besides that little fact, it was a fairly uninspiring ride in dull and damp weather which deteriorated as we pedalled.  It waited until we were home to start raining though, and then it pelted down. 

Some time ago I wrote an entry about challenges and personal challenges, and I mentioned my possibly stupid idea of riding 3000 miles a year.  I came up with this figure some years ago when the British Medical Association gave recommendations about physical activity and I interpreted their recommendations for myself with this challenge.  I lived in a flat part of the UK at that time... but things change.  My home terrain changed, but I couldn’t quite accept a shortening of my desired mileage to compensate.

But thanks to some fabulous holidays, to my husband’s encouragement and to our determination to make the most of every rain-free day (there have been precious few), I’ve managed my first 3000 mile year whilst living in Shropshire.  

I’m not sure I’ll manage it again though!

2 comments:

  1. Wow well done you fragile cyclist you! I only managed 2700 (nearly).
    One fabulous holiday you also cycled all the way over to Derbyshire despite snow and a stinking cold!
    Here's to 2013!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've made me all the more determined NOT to have a cold next time you run the ladies weekend - I was gutted that I needed to accept (thank you Catherine) a lift back. I'll do it both ways one day!

    ReplyDelete