Thursday 31 May 2012

Spinning Wheels



Now and again, I like to do a bit of knitting.  Some time ago my cycling friend Chris, who happens also to be a demon knitter, coaxed me into the local cafe Acanthus on a Wednesday morning, in order to knit and generally chat over coffee.  Over the following few weeks this became a regular thing, and three other ladies gradually joined us, knitters and cyclists all.  
One week the obvious question was asked - how is it that we knit together, but never cycle together?  We all cycle individually with our husbands, and our husbands sometimes cycle together.  But when our husbands cycle together they ride in a fast and furious dash, poisoned by their Y-chromosomes which seem to make them ultra competitive.  We ladies, on the other hand, like to ride more sedately (don’t get me wrong though, we’re not opposed to the occasional challenge).  And if we’re riding sedately, why not take our knitting with us, and ride to a friendly cafe which won’t mind us sitting there for an hour or so?
And so it was that Chris and I rode with our knitting yesterday. The other three ladies unfortunately were not available, but that wasn’t going to stop us. We rode just a 31km round trip to Montgomery with a long stop at the Castle Kitchen cafe, and a quick look around the gallery next door (long enough for Chris to buy a skirt).  Just to make it a little bit challenging, we put in a nasty climb on the way home!
We certainly won’t abandon Acanthus, as the people there have welcomed us taking up a table without complaint for many weeks - so we shall be alternating riding-to-knit with just sitting and knitting.  Besides which, Acanthus is a fantastic place to meet friends, cyclists and non-cyclists alike.
So what have I produced with my knitting needles?  Well I’m a jumper knitter, but a part-knitted jumper won’t fit in my saddlebag.  So here’s a picture of my very first sock - I just need to knit another one now!



No comments:

Post a Comment