Friday 23 March 2012

Tiny New Lives


Before work finished with me, I’d have never imagined that I could get such a feeling of reward as the one I experienced a fortnight ago when I looked in my little plant pots, and saw an incredibly tiny new shoot.  Having an admittedly stupid tendency to name things, I called it “Jeremy”, and each day since then, I have looked to see how it’s been doing, almost as if it had been my own child. 
It has lots of friends now, of course, as it wasn’t the only seed I planted.  But it was the first to break out from the surface of the compost and as such it represents my first success in my plan to grow food for myself and my hubby.  Others may be expert, and some of my friends certainly seem to be, at least to me.  But I’m new to this, and it’s all to learn. 
Jeremy is a flat-leaved parsley, its friends include curly-leaved parsleys, thyme, chives, sage, coriander and a great many other things besides herbs.  I have potatoes in the ground, and a dozen other things just waiting for the risk of frost to pass so that I can encourage them into life.  
It fascinates me that seeds I can barely see are able to produce plants which grow taller than me.  Using light to photosynthesise, those little geniuses combine water with carbon dioxide to make sugars with which they feed themselves, and so grow.  But then, my hubby pointed out that our own conceptions and births, from microscopic elements, are pretty amazing too.  
Which is just as well, because if I didn’t think that I was amazing, I might never feel justified to take a bite out of Jeremy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment